Monday, February 22, 2010

Day 19: Gunfight at the OK Corral


As I was enjoying a cup of coffee and reading the paper in the motel lobby at 7AM (I go there to let Sleeping Beauty continue) a man was hoping to catch a taxi to take him up the road a couple of miles where he could catch the Greyhound bus. Seems his wife left him here (I didn't ask). The desk clerk dialed the numbers of both cab companies. One was disconnected. The other said, "Call back later". So I offered to give him a lift and he was happy to accept it. See what you miss by sleeping in?

We drove 23 miles to Tombstone, "The town too tough to die". Lots of great history there. Established as a mining boom town in the late 1870's, with all the trappings and corruption of a wild west town. Of course, Tombstone's most famous claim to fame is the gunfight in which the Earp bros and Doc Holliday infamously gunned down some cowboys who had become burrs in their saddles.

The historic district looks similar in some respects to how it might have appeared back in the thrilling days of yesteryear, with wooden sidewalks. The streets have been paved and the brothels are gone. But there are saloons and lots of shops. We visited the old Cochise Co. Courthouse as well as the OK Corral, the Bird Cage Theater, museums of old west stuff and Boot Hill Cemetery.

At the corral they did a supposedly factually accurate re-enactment of the gunfight. The acting was somewhat hokey, but it was entertaining. I met David Bales, the pastor of the Christian Cowboy Church of Tombstone in a shop he owns. He also recommended The Longbranch for lunch. I took a break from Mexican, but not Gail. Can't get enough!

This is also the region where the Apache cheiftains Cochise and Geronimo fought (and lost) trying to save their land.

And did I say it was cold and rainy today? We started out with a sweater and windbreaker, but after lunch traded them in for our winter coats. We should awake to see fresh snow on the peaks around us. And here in Benson we're at 4,000+ elevation. It reminded me of a typical winter day at home.

I love to find little Mexican restaurants where the emphasis is not on the decor but on the food. We found one for dinner tonight and it was muy delicioso. Tomorrow we will check out some natural parks around Tucson then drive to Yuma (a border town where AZ, CA and Mexico come together) for the night. Another deal was found via Priceline. A three diamond room that sells for $125 AAA price online is ours for $50!
PS - Gail here. So, I thought I would add a few comments here and there on the highlight of my day. I got my first Senior Citizen perk several years ago at the bank, when we qualified for the senior checking (50+) It was a stunning, but giddy moment. Now I look for those perks. At the restaurant tonight, I noticed the sign which gave a buy one entree, get 2nd half price on Mondays, to those 55+. Bingo!! But my bubble was burst when we did not qualify, because Rick was 6 months short. Bummer!








4 comments: