Sunday, February 28, 2010

Day 25: Last Day in Orange

Yesterday I found that our car battery was dead, so we jumped it and it started up again for us a couple of times. Yet, since it was the original battery in the 2005 car I knew it was likely at the end of it's days. I was right. This morning it was dead. So before church I removed the battery and put it in Carol's trunk. After church we stopped at Sears and got a new Diehard. Should be good for the next 8years (or so they claim).

CrossPointe Church in Yorba Linda is doing great. I've been familiar with the church for a number of years, and have preached there a few times in the past. They went through a big trial in the last 3 years, but with a faithful core, new leadership and a renewed vision God is blessing them in greater ways than ever before. The 10AM service (one of three each Sunday) was super. Excellent music, video and Brian's sermon on Elijah was really good. I stole some ideas, too.

Back at "home" I put the new battery in our car, then headed out to lunch with friends Mary Ann and her son Jason Lievanos. Somewhere I had heard about Lucille's BBQ out here and wanted to give it a try. We weren't disappointed! Real Southern food!

One thing that facsinates Gail are the cell tower "trees". Californians put up cell towers and disguise them as trees. That's one in the picture. It's the "tree" in the center.

On Friday we purchased "2 for 1" tickets from Disney that gave us entry into both parks. So today we visited Disney's California Adventure for the first time. It has some very cool rides, including Soarin' Over California, which is a simulated hang gliding trip over the state. They have a ginormous Ferris Wheel that gave panoramic views. If you look at the pics you can see the snow covered San Gabriel Mountains in the background. The small mountain in the center is Disney's "Matterhorn". The other direction we could see Catalina Island off the coast.







After two days in Disney's parks my conclusion is that to really enjoy it to the max you need to be with kids. So next time we will do that.

Back at home, as the closing ceremonies of the 2010 Winter Olympics are now on, I'm finishing off yesterday's burrito from Pancho's and the last slice of banberry pie from Polly's. We've got to pack up tonight because we head out tomorrow. First stop is to see Russ and Michele and Wyatt Poland. Then we head west to pick up the coast highway and north. Don't know where we'll stop tomorrow night.
It's always good for us to come "home" to Orange County. (Gail was at one time a real housewife here) and visit with great friends. But onward we go.
Gail here - We have been truly blessed to attend great church services while we have been gone, but I miss my home church. And I miss my Monday Night Ladies! And I miss my grandbabies! And my kids, and . . . . . .

2 comments:

  1. Dear Gail,we miss you too.But I'm glad you are having a great time.The service was really good yesterday,all about small groups.The music was wonderful,I know how you feel when your not there.I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! The cell tower tree! Maybe THAT'S an option for Southern Shores! They refuse to put up a tower but maybe this is the ticket!!!!

    ReplyDelete