Sunday, March 7, 2010

Day 31: Lassen Pines

Gordon and Dottie Luff are such accomodating hosts! I was told by another friend that we would be spoiled here, and it's true.

When Gail and I were college students in the infant years of what is now Liberty University Gordon was in many ways the man who kept the ship afloat. He started the first ever youth ministries major in a college; was the first dean of students at the fledgling school; built dorms; led students to sacrificially give time and energy to turn a dream into reality. And behind the scenes Dottie was raising their children and quietly supporting his calling. It wasn't an easy life, but one that has made a lasting legacy.

We're indebted to them. And this weekend we're getting up close and personal with them and their family here in Redding, hearing lots of stories about those pioneering days. It's been a fun day.

While Gail and Dottie went out shopping Gordon, his son Scott (who works with him) and I drove up the mountain to their camp, Lassen Pines. They've seen some 50,000 kids make decisions for Christ here over the years. As many as 1000 campers in a week come here for a great camping experience built around a drive to present Christ to youth. Gordon's 73 and still working with kids. And I don't see any sign of him slowing down.

Tomorrow we're going to church with them in a "country church" up on the mountain where Gordon will be filling in for the pastor who is away at a conference. I'm sure that stubby index finger will be pointed at me at least once during the sermon. Can't wait.

I also hear the band includes banjo and mandolin. I'm threatening to wear my new cowboy hat to church.



No comments:

Post a Comment