Friday, March 12, 2010

Day 36: Hoover Dam and The Grand Canyon

Our car was filthy from the over 5K miles it’s traveled these last 5 weeks; especially the last couple of days driving through the snowy mountains. Yesterday’s oil change came with a “free” car wash, but their car was closed “because they saw some clouds”. Life in the desert…

But the company has gas stations, lube places and car washes all over LV, so we found one on the way out and got the girl a bath. By the end of the day we’d be driving through snow covered territory again.


Just outside of Vegas to the south is the Hoover Dam. You actually drive over it on Hwy 93 going south. It’s a slow drive and made even more so by the necessary “security check” before going over. How can anyone tell anything by simply looking under one wheel well? They’re building a new highway that will go over the dam on a bridge. The bridge (to me – a former bridge builder) is impressive.


From the Hoover Dam it was about 4 hours to the Grand Canyon, including a brief gas stop and a run into a retail shop in Kingman. There we picked up I-40, which is the usual east-west route across the US from coast to coast. I’ve driven this road several times. Gail and I took it in 1977 to California, and then in 1978 out of California. That was the time our truck ran out of gas in the middle of Nowhere, AZ. Ask Gail about howling coyotes.

By the time we arrived at the Canyon we only had about 2 hours of sunlight left so we tried to make the best of it by taking the shuttle to various stopping points. We should have just taken our car. But we got a lot of good looks and I hope awesome pictures of what must be one of God greatest masterpieces in geology.





(I've posted lots more photos on Facebook.)

Dark finds us driving the 81 miles to Flagstaff, AZ, where we’re spending Thursday night. Today begins week 6 of the trip. Tomorrow the goal is Albuquerque (try typing that one fast), NM.

4 comments:

  1. Very Cool!! I've always wanted to go to Hoover Dam. My grandfather helped build the dam,I remember him telling me stories about it when I was little.
    Awesome pictures of the Grand Canyon, too. I agree, one of God's greatest masterpieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out the pink stone that the overpasses around Albuquerque. I never pictured the Grand Canyon with snow. Love the cowboy hat, looks natural on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Gail's Vans in the mountains. Can't take the beach out of the girl. Gorgeous pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's funny is that Gail bought a pair of snow boots on the trip but has yet to put them on.

    ReplyDelete