Saturday, March 13, 2010

Day 38: Gaining ground but losing time!

Let's see...Thursday we woke up in Nevada - Pacific Time. But within a few miles we crossed into Arizona - Mountain Time. Lost an hour there. Today when we drove into Texas we lost another hour in Central Time. And now at 2AM Sunday we lose another hour!

This was the second longest drive we've had since leaving home. It took us 11 hours from Albuquerque, NM to my parents' home in Hugo, OK. We left NM with a full tank and filled up twice more before getting here. At least the price of gas is coming down.

I'll post some pics tomorrow (I hope) of some of what we saw on the drive. It started out with a view of the pre-dawn lights of Albuquerque with the Sandia Mountains in the background. Alb is really a pretty city.

About an hour or so east we came to a stop on I-40. We could see ahead that there had been a wreck. As we passed it we saw that it was pretty serious. Looked like they were working on 3 people on the ground, and at least one was getting CPR. I silently said a prayer for everyone involved, knowing that those kinds of things are never easy for victims, their families and the first responders.

We stopped for lunch in Amarillo, TX at a Golden Corral. I couldn't help but laugh when an elderly couple came in and the woman was in hair rollers. She had a dress on, but her hair was up in curlers. I think there should be a law or something...

Gail and I lived in Tulsa from '78 to 80, so we passed through some familiar country. Not much is on the radio here but country music it seems, and I always get a kick out of some of the songs. Once in a while it's good to visit another culture, even on the radio.

Mom had dinner ready for us, which included sugar free cherry pie. When I get home I don't care if I don't eat out in a restaurant again for a long time....unless someone else is buying.

Looking forward to going to church with Mom and Dad tomorrow. Their church prayed much for Tricia and Gwyneth two years ago. And their youth pastor Byron has been a speaker at The Call a couple of times.

Our goal, in case you're wondering is to be home by sometime next weekend. But who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment